top of page


What is a SWPPP?

The Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP) is a Plan written specific to the construction site for land disturbance activities (clearing, grading, or excavation work, and similar activities) that will take place. The Plan includes SWPPP and project contact information, site map and construction activities descriptions, and identifies potential pollutants and the practices/controls used for preventing pollutants from leaving the site through stormwater runoff. The SWPPP also describes the procedures involved with inspection and maintenance of BMPs (Best Management Practices), and provides a place for these records as well as amendments and certifications to be kept.

Why do I need to fill out a SWPPP Request Form?

A SWPPP Request Form (SRF) is needed to prepare an accurate SWPPP that is specific and nique to your site. Some of the information you will be asked to provide is: the site name and location, site activities information, SWPPP and project contact information, as well as the construction plans for your site. The SWPPP Request Form may be accessed at or by contacting our staff directly. Contact us today with any stormwater management questions you may have. 

Is a SWPPP required for my construction site?

A SWPPP is a requirement by the EPA or state construction general permit. It is generally required for sites that will disturb 1 acre of land or larger, or for smaller sites that are part of a larger common plan of development or sale, to obtain coverage under the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) for stormwater discharges.

What is the cost ot a SWPPP? And how long does it take to complete?

The cost of each SWPPP can vary due to complexity which affects the time it takes for us to complete. In general, the SWPPP development process takes about 12 hours per project which includes a pre-site visit by one of our Stormwater Compliance Specialists. It is recommended that you place your SWPPP order well in advance of your construction start date to account for any unexpected delays related to existing order volume.

What is an NOI permit application? And when is an NOT filed?

The NOI (Notice of Intent) is the application form filed. The NOI permit is required for sites disturbing 1 acre or greater, and for sites disturbing
less than one acre if part of a larger common plan of development or sale. Once your project is complete and the final stabilization requirements have been met, the Notice of Termination (NOT) form may be submitted to the state to terminate your permit. Please contact us today with any stormwater management questions you may have.

What are BMPs?

“BMPs” stand for Best Management Practices – measures and practices utilized to prevent pollutants from leaving the site via stormwater discharge. There are both structural and non-structural BMPs, including but not limited to: silt fence, fiber roll, inlet protection, picking up trash onsite and sweeping the surrounding streets, etc.

Can I do the required site inspections myself?

Yes. For smaller sites permitted under the Utah Common Plan Permit, inspector certification is not required. The CGP (Construction General Permit) requires the inspector to be certified. Certified inspectors at accenaGroup can thus fulfill the minimum inspection requirement for the CGP, which offers a reduced inspection frequency in comparison to the Common Plan Permit.

What is an Underground Injection Control (UIC)?

Typically, the UICs that are installed at construction sites are Class V wells. According to the EPA, these wells are mostly used to inject non-hazardous fluids below ground level – into or above sources of the state’s drinking water. If improperly managed, disposal of these fluids can threaten the purity of groundwater. The state of Utah requires registration of Class V wells (regulated by the UIC program under the authority of the Safe Drinking Water Act). Compliance Experts at accenaGroup can assist you with the registration of your onsite UICs

What are civil plans? Why are they needed for the SWPPP?

Civil plans are plans created specific to your site, usually by a licensed engineer. For 1-lot residential sites, a site plan is usually sufficient for permit requirements. Additional civil plans are needed for larger projects in order to fulfill CGP requirements relating to the following: site contours/topography that may change over the course of the project, site drainage, UICs, LIDs, landscaping plans, and detail & specification sheets, etc. These plans are also needed for creating BMP map(s) for your SWPPP.

bottom of page